This weeks adventure is ELIMINATING sugary condiments! I am such a condiment addict…..I seriously eat BBQ sauce with a side of Chicken, Ranch with a side of veggies, Ketchup with a side of Anything I can put it on! I LOVEEEE CONDIMENTS….. haha I think you get the picture.
I am saying SOOOOOO LONG to these sugary fattening empty calories for at LEAST a week…..but hopefully for WAY longer than that.
Take a look at your diet and what empty calories you consume daily! What are those things you can easily eliminate to help you reach your fitness goals? Start checking those nutrition labels people!
Healthy Condiments to keep
- Regular yellow mustard (contains no sugar and no fat, only vinegar and a little salt)
- Spicy mustard (vinegar, salt; no fat or sugar)
- Hot sauce (no fat, no sugar; some salt)
- Vinegar (for salads; I mix it with powdered garlic)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (for salads; contains healthy fat)
- Natural herbs and spices (oregano, red pepper, cinnamon, etc.)
- Low-salt seasoning blends such as Mrs. Dash or Tony Chachere’s Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning
Condiments okay in Moderation
Now here are some condiments that I normally don’t use, though many of these are probably okay in moderation:
- Fat-free mayonnaise
- Sour cream (light and reduced-fat versions)
- Cream cheese (light or reduced fat)
- Sugar-free jelly or jam
- Sugar-free syrup
- Spaghetti sauce (the no-added-sugar variety)
- Salsa (check the label…but fresh salsa is a great way to add flavor!)
- Soy sauce
Condiments to Avoid
The condiments that I avoid are listed below. If you want to better manage your condiment use, you might begin by eliminating these:
- Ketchup (high in sugar)
- Regular mayonnaise (high in bad fat)
- Barbecue sauce (high in sugar)
- Worcestershire sauce (made from maple syrup)
- Cocktail sauce (many varieties are high in sugar)
- Teriyaki sauce
- Honey mustard
- Regular jelly and jam
- Maple syrup
WISH ME LUCK! What are you’re nutrition goal for the week! Make those small changes to reach your goal today! Want to join a fitness challenge with like minded people…NEW CHALLENGE GROUP STARTING JULY 16th!